Thursday, November 29, 2012

Kaju meets matar....for dinner !


Weekdays call for quick meals. By quick, i mean "time taken to cook" . This needs to be essentially short yet my palate  yearns for some nice, mildly spiced stuff.
My weekend trip to the bustling 'vegetable market" in Nasik ( will write more about this later) has left my fridge overloaded with fresh greens and among them sit fresh pea pods- sweet and tender.
Today i decided to use these up, since I did not want to exhaust my stock I decided to mix them up with some cashews (my little one loves these) and rustle up a lovely Maharastrian style kaju-matar usal.

What is needed
1 cup fresh green peas
1 cup kaju or cashews soaked in hot water ( for about 15-20 minutes)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder or haldi
1 tsp Maharastrian Goda  masala, Do check the recipe for Goda masala here or  here for another  version

For the paste
1/2 cup of freshly scraped coconut
4-5 garlic pods
4 green chillies
1 small onion

Method
  1.  Make a coarse paste of all the ingredients listed in the "paste" section
  2. Heat oil in a pan, add the  ground paste,haldi, goda masala.
  3. Fry the paste briefly, for less than a minute and add the peas followed by the cashews.
  4. Add salt, a pinch of sugar, some coriander.
  5. Add about half a cup of water to prevent it from sticking at the bottom
  6. Cover and cook till peas are tender enough.( In my case the peas were very tender and took very little time to cook. You may also pre cook or boil the green peas beforehand).
A generous sprinkling of fresh chopped coriander just before serving should complete this dish.
I also like squirt of lemon juice on it!

2 comments: